Monday, March 1, 2010

hierarchies and lipsticks

I was intrigued by Steinem's article on advertising, as it is an industry that, though I'm enveloped in daily, I know very little about. Throughout the course of our readings I'm continually surprised by the close-mindedness of many powerful people in this country throughout history and in contemporary society. Many times in Steinems article she references editors of big name publications, or CEO's of "cash cow" industries etc who perpetuate prejudices and stigmas with their practices and decisions. For example the editor of New York Magazine who told the people at Ms. that they should "position" themselves against lesbians. 

At first response, I find myself blaming the individual. How could someone be so ignorant and close-minded? But another one of Steinem's examples made me rethink my judgement. "Some of them come from JVC, whose vice president, Harry Elias, is trying to convince his Japanese bosses that there is something called a women's market."(p.3, Steinem) I realized that there is something bigger at work here. It reminded me of what I learned about the civil rights movement in the American School course here at colgate; how a huge percentage of students in school who espoused racial prejudices were only doing so because of their parents, when in actuality they got along very well with their black classmates. The systems in place in corporate America don't allot for much personal opinion. Though Mr. Elias felt a certain way about where the company should go, the hierarchy in place didn't allow for him to make changes. This reminded me once again of Alan Johnson's article about the "systems" we have set in place. So often in our country there is a small, small minority who wields the majority of the power. Is this not entirely contradictory to the notions our country is founded on?

Steinem concludes her article asking the readers if we can do better than this. I truly believe we can. Two-thirds of the women's magazines being published today disgust me. I physically can not stand them. What bothers me the most are the filler articles about advice for women: "Why doesn't he love me?" "What they really mean when they say this..." "10 new ways to make your man happy" "How to tell a friend she smells bad" I mean are they serious? Why do they feed us this crap? And let's not even dive into the painful world of the tabloid magazines...All of these magazines portray such a negative image for women, they're skewing our priorities and brainwashing us. I believe Ariel Levy would espouse this belief as well. Women's magazines are drenched in raunch culture, women selling themselves out for a quick buck, and selling themselves short in the name of what pleases men. "What message is your lipstick sending?" My lipstick says it does not care. I bought it because I liked the color, not because its a name-brand that you tell me everyone else likes or that will find me my husband. We deserve a little more credit than that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment