Monday, February 15, 2010

confused

A few semesters ago I took a queer studies class. It was about homosexuality and religion, and we dealt with many of the same issues that tonight's reading discusses. Before this class I had never read so in depth on this topic. I've never known a lesbian (or tranny, boi, butch, femme etc) personally and this knew very little on the subject. I find it very difficult to understand. I'm not disturbed by it, it doesn't make me uncomfortable, I am in no way offended by it.  What confuses me is the people who denounce it. The people who point at these women and stare and ask rude questions or make snide comments. Why do they care? I can't say I know half of the pain these people go through on a daily basis, but I fully sympathize with their dislike of those who so desire to put them in "boxes" with "labels". Its baffling to me that these people have to endure so much cruelty. And then to have other nay-sayers claim they are doing it for attention and their sexual orientation isn't inherent? Why would anyone put themselves through such pain for no reason? It makes no sense. Close-mindedness doesn't seem that terrible of a characteristic at first glance, but after my queer studies class, and after doing tonight's readings, I've begun to see how awful it truly is. 

I found Jennifer Myhre's essay to be particularly thought provoking. I really enjoyed what she had to say about how much time women put into their appearances. Personally I believe a woman should do as she pleases. A lot of women like to get dressed up, they enjoy the process and they enjoy the product. On the same token there are plenty of women who loathe said process. As well, plenty of those women participate in this process because they feel as if they have. Thats the part I take issue with. Unfortunately not enough women have the same gumption as Jennifer and thus feel trapped their whole lives in these roles that they have no desire to fill. The pressures of society are overwhelming. But if enough women took the risk to defy the bounds of society, then they would inadvertently rework the system as we know it. Who cares what is acceptable and what makes people comfortable? People say what they mean alarmingly infrequently. There are clearly countless people out there who are putting on facades in an effort to go "with the flow" of society. These facades perpetuate the boxes and labels which try to make everyone fit into a category. I have never desired to be in a category, I want to be my own person. So why would I desire for anyone else to be in a category? I just don't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment